Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Doctors and Ethics

So, I got up at noon for my doctor's appointment at 2:30pm. I was going to do my Russian language homework, but I couldn't find anything that showed what the homework was. So I had an extra 2 hours in my day, apparently.

I went to the doctor's office and waited. This is the part I hate most about doctor's offices, actually. As a patient, I very much enjoy when they're friendly and not rushed. But as a patient-in-waiting, it can get tiresome. Although, there was a documentary about a Russian beach side town and how it was essentially the worst place for civilization. Wish I could have understood a word of it, but they kept going to shots of this camel and it made me so sad...

Doctor's office was fine, and there were hardly any physical examinations, which I found odd. It was mostly a questionnaire. No scoliosis test, ear, or eye exams. He just looked in my mouth once. Then he measured by neck, chest, and torso. Took my blood pressure, but that was it. I personally found it a little odd considering the amount of tests I go through every year at Rhodes to make sure my joints are in good shape. But whatever.

Then I went to go get my blood drawn, and this is the first time I've ever had blood removed from my body that I can remember. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, although being able to feel the tiny needle in my blood vein wasn't too much fun. hahaha. But I'm worried about the results, because they're for HIV and false positives are SO common. I haven't done anything to get HIV, so the last thing I could use in this whole process of trying to get residency is having a freaking false positive. That would just be fantastic.

Then I went to Russian, which was enjoyable. My mind clicked on Russian and I was asking questions to the professor in Russian, and I just enjoyed myself that day. Weee!

Then I went to the Sports Hall for my weekly workout with Coach Lemberg. He wasn't there when I arrived, so I did my warm-up running and stretching. Then I called him, and he was in Tallinn. I'm not on one of his mailing lists, and I don't see him every day, so this is why I was unaware. So I just did the workout by myself, and I nailed it. It felt so good to run off time again. And my body did really well, despite trying to give me signs earlier in the day that it shouldn't do a workout. Pfff. Outta my way weak mind, the body and legs are coming through! Afterwards I stayed with Genevieve and Kelsey to do some moderate ab work. I need to do TONS more, cuz I'm not even sore this morning. But it was a nice THREE hours at the Sports Hall. Ugh.

But as the title of this post suggested, I did have an ethical debate today. I received word that there is a World Cup Qualifying match between Armenia and Estonia next week in Tallinn. But the match starts at 6PM on Wednesday. I have my law course on Wednesdays from 2-4PM. This is the same class I missed on accident before heading to Helsinki (SO ANGRY ABOUT IT STILL!!!), and we don't have many lectures left in that course... So do I go or not?

Well, I decided that I'm going to the football match. It's a cultural experience!! Seeing Estonia's national team play football!! Against Armenia?! It just sounds like too much fun. So I'm going. I'm missing the lecture that covers my paper topic... but I have good friends in that class. And honestly, his lectures blow most of the time. Although this last class was interesting... But he cancelled class for this week, and so I'm not feeling the vibe of hard work in that class... hahaha. But yay! I'm going to go to an awesome football match!!! I'm excited!!!

1 comment: