Thursday, February 19, 2009

Laws of Wednesdays

So today (Wednesday) was a good day, although short of events. hahaha.

I got up late and headed to "The Theory of International Law and Human Rights in Russia". Now, I had been terrified of this course up until today, because the original syllabus online said our first assignment would be a 7-page paper over 1 of 3 materials... all of which were only available in Russian. And I had a slight problem/anxiety, because my Russian certainly doesn't allow me to read complicated, legal texts. haha. I don't know when I'll be able to do that... maybe when I'm 30.

But upon entering the class, there was a revised syllabus! Yay! No books only available in Russian!! Weeee!! But it was an interesting class... No heated debates (Yay!), but the professor spoke for almost 1.5 hours on the idea of international law and its history in Estonia. So it was different. But his command of English is quite good, and so I'm glad that in my most "obscure" class, the professor is very capable of English. But unfortunately for this class, my attention drifted, so I will have to prevent this in the future.... hahaha. I volunteered to give a presentation next class, so I have no idea how that will go. It's not a long reading, and I hope it's interesting or something. Otherwise, I may be screwed overall. hahaha.

But I'm hopeful, because he has invited us to a law conference in St Petersburg attended by Russian students. And I would very much like to go. I'm waiting word back from him as to information, but there may be a problem with arranging everything, as getting a tourist visa is rather complicated. And so time may be against me, in terms of receiving an invitiation, getting the visa, etc. But we will see. I would love to go back to St Petersburg, but at a convention. I just simply want to be back in the city, and not necessarily doing all the tourist stuff again. But we'll see.

In the evening, our hall in Raatuse (the dorm) threw a costume party. I didn't have time to go out and buy a costume... So I just put on some running tights, a white undershirt, then wore a pair of underwear I have that has a tuxedo print on the front. I claimed it was "semi-casual", but basically I just didn't care. It was whatever. hahaha. There were a ton of costumes, and it was fun. And afterwards, we went back to Club Illusion, a definite favorite place. Kema would be glad to know that Prince's "Kiss" was the first song when we walked through the door. hahaha. The music oscillated from good to awful back to good, but everyone was light-hearted about it, so it was still a lot of fun. International students get in for free on Wednesday nights, so this will become a regular event. So every Wednesday I'll go to Law, have some time, then go dancin'. Weee!

Well, now I must start my Russian language homework for my class at 6 pm... I don't know how I feel about that... but I certainly don't feel too good about my brain's capacity at such awkward hours. We'll see. hahaha.

1 comment:

  1. the nice thing about international law and human rights in russia (at least for you) is that it only exists in theory anyway. so once you're done this class, you'll know everything on the subject

    HOORAY

    ReplyDelete