Monday, February 23, 2009

Yes, I Eat Pizza A Lot

So, it has been asked by several family members if I really do eat this much pizza. And the answer is yes. I eat a lot of pizza. It is the cheapest way to get a lot of carbs and "variety" in my diet. I never order the meat-lovers, but have instead gone towards to Supreme. Do I realize that this does not mean I'm eating healthily? Of course. So below are some pictures to prove how healthy I'm trying to be.




My typical sandwich lunch, but I eat everything you see in this picture... (10 small sandwiches)


My entire box of muesli cereal (either dried fruit or nut contents)
This is a new addition to my diet, and I loves it.




My latest weak spot: cinnamon apple yogurt... incredibly good!!!




Now, that being said. We move onward. Today (Monday) was a day in which I was going to get sooo much done. I have been in contact with this law conference in St Petersburg, and scrambling to get information to them in time so that I can get an invitation. If you're unaware, you cannot enter Russia without a visa, and you must have an invitation in order to receive one. So I got up early today to run the necessary errands.... And everything doesn't open until 10AM. This is a shame considering I got up at 9AM to run errands. So I walked around town and got breakfast... but there was a wind today, so it was bloody freezing (borrowing some Brit there). But I did manage to get all the "invitation" errands completed, but not all the "student" errands I needed to complete. Ugh. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is Estonia's independence day (from 1918), and so everything connected with the university was closed today... without explanation or warning. AAAAHHH!!! Oh well.

Then I came back to the dorm and starting reading my articles for my EU/Russian relations course, because my group has a presentation next week. We met today, and I think we're gonna kick ass. Due to my extended absence this upcoming weekend, Lukas (Lithuania) and Sally (Georgia) will create the powerpoint, and I will do all the talking. Our topic is to elaborate on if Russia's international presence is only a result of economic factors. While not overly difficult, we want to be thorough and kick ass. Therefore, as a native English speaker, I can just rattle crap off faster, so I'll present. I really enjoy working with them, and I hope we keep this group for future presentations. But we shall see....

And then today was Ali Kash's (Turkey) birthday, and he is a really awesome guy with the coolest name ever. So he had a party in his apartment, and it was a nice, calm function. But I left with Genevieve, Kelsey, and Peter (USA) to go to the Gunpowder Cellar. We also had Sofia (Sweden) and Gergo (Hungary, and one of my flatmates) come with us. It was a very simple time, and we ordered a ton of bar food, which constitutes my least healthy meal to date. But I have wanted to come to the Gunpowder Cellar for some time, as it was commissioned by Catharine the Great to store gunpowder, and I think it's in the Guinness Book of World Records for tallest ceiling in bar (certainly for an underground bar). And, dare I say, I enjoyed their house beer more than Guinness. I know this is quite a claim, but I loved it. Wonderful house beer, only available in the Gunpowder. I think I may be in love... maybe.

But it really hit me double strong today that I'm in Estonia. Sitting in the Gunpowder Cellar, a place I've wanted to go to for some time now, and having Estonian karaoke in the background... it was perfect. And I'm officially going to go to Helsinki and St Petersburg... it just makes me soo happy. Giddy happy. Weeee!!!

I really hope the invitation/visa stuff works out alright, because I found I do in fact have to go Tallinn for the consulate, and I called them today... Wow. I wrote a small script and said it to the operator several times, changing things every once and a while... and all he said back was "I do not understand you." (in Russian, of course) So while I'm excited that I'll have excuses to travel to Tallinn, and a run-through at the embassy before it really matters for my internship in Russia, I am scared of the encounter. But this is where my American determination, lack of overall shyness, and willingness to butcher a foreign language will prevail. hahaha.



The bar food we ordered... SO GOOD




The American crew (future Helsinki travel crew)
[Peter, Kelsey, and Genevieve]





Flatmates: Gergo and Colin

View of Underground Cellar from 2nd Level





View of Underground Cellar from Ground Floor

No comments:

Post a Comment