Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mixed Bag O' Stuff

So I am honestly having a hard time keeping track of my days now. Ugh… The winter is settling into my brain!!! But it’s coming to me now…

Well, I got up, and Toomas (roommate) and I went to the University Housing office to see if we could move to the 4th floor, where a majority of the international students live so we could have more socializing on a daily basis. Well, in a stunning show of ridiculously fast system management, we were told that we had been allowed a room switch and we had one hour to move. BAAAAH!!! So I shoved all my crap into bags and moved onto the fourth floor. My view is not so great…. but it will do. I like running into people I know, so I likes it. And my room is down the hall, so I have to walk past rooms and get to run into people… sigh… it’s nice.

But I had to SPRINT (meaning walk quickly to avoid slipping on the ice) to get to my class on Human Rights/International Law in Russia. And I knew it was WAY far from my dorm. And I walked CRAZY fast towards the law lecture hall… OR NOT!!! See, in like 70% of the city, there are no street signs. You have NO IDEA where you’re going if you’re new. But I know the place is beyond the two hills in Tartu. But I get lost. I walk around for a half hour and get there… Class has been cancelled. I have walked around for an hour altogether. I rubbed the skin off both achilles’ tendons, so I have some good blood going into my socks. UGH!!!! But I know how to get there now. Sweet mother!!

So then I walked back to my room and ate some lunch. Cleaned up my feet and went for a run. It was nice, but the cold is COLD!! Hahaha. I run through this park, but I have to run on the snow, because I would die within 5 seconds on the frozen paths. I would know, because I tried. And I literally almost fell into the partially frozen river. Life’s fun like that. So needless to say, I was tired, exhausted, and ready for sleepy weepy.

But then… I find out that I was accepted into the Buckman International Internship Program at Rhodes!!!! YAAAAAAAY!!!!! This means that for my summer, I have an all-expenses paid internship in Russia!!! Hopefully (pending my admission into the internship) I will be in Velikiy Novgorod and work in an orphanage there. SOOOO EXCITED!!!! YAAAY!!! No words to express this joy, and I will write later about its developments. So after finding that out, I was on the prowl for release. Luckily, Wednesday night was free entrance before midnight at Club Illusion. This is my first club outing in Estonia.

A-W-E-S-O-M-E. So the venue is a converted Soviet theatre. So the lobby already has a coat room, a big desk for getting checked and what not, then you just walk onto the main audience seating, and there’s your bar and dance floor. The balcony seating is still there, it’s awesome!!! And they played ridiculously awesome songs, because it was “retro” night. So Annie Lennox’s “Walking On Broken Glass”; Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl?”; Joan Jett and Black Heart’s “I Love Rock ‘n Roll”; or Blackstreet’s “I Like the Way You Work It”. And it was so odd, because everyone knew the music: all the Estonians and all the international students. So it was almost like being in the US.

So it was a great day in the end. And here’s some pictures finally!! The freezing fog returned the night before, so I walked around for a half hour to grab some photos, and this is why I really had to scramble to pack, because I only had a half hour. Enjoy the first photoshoot.


PS - If you click on the photo, you get a massive version of it.





















No comments:

Post a Comment